Thursday, March 31, 2016

The DIY Bug #2: Crochet Chevron Scrap Blanket

Ever since I got back into doing crafty things, I haven't been able to put down a blanket that I started in August before I came to college. I think I started this blanket in August, although it might have been earlier that summer.

The reason this is a scrap blanket is because I start lots of projects and never finish them so I end up with a lot of half skeins of yarn. Also, last May my great aunt passed away and she was an avid knitter so when we were cleaning out her house I picked yarn out that I liked. She had so many different kinds of half used skeins just like me so I decided to make a blanket with it.

I was going to try to do a pattern but as I have progressed in the blanket I have realized that I don't have enough of every color to get me through the entire blanket. This picture is from last week or so and I have gotten much farther since then. If you can't tell there is some kind of organization, I did five rows of variegated yarn then 3 rows of a solid color. So far I love the way it looks but I have made some major mistakes. Usually when I make a mistake I just pull it out from where I made the mistake but in this case the mistake was too far behind and I had already switched colors and it was too much work to turn back.



I want to link the exact pattern that I used but I cant remember which I used! I don't think I followed the pattern exactly, so I will just explain what I did and if this is your pattern, just let me know and I will give you credit. :)

Pattern:

Gauge: I have never used a gauge in my life, I'm sorry.

Hook: I use a US H8/5.00mm crochet hook.

This blanket can be made into any size, for the base layer Chain in sequences of 26+3, which means you multiply 26 by a number to get it as big as you want your blanket to be and add 3, each series of 26 chains is one chevron. I hope that made sense, my blanket is made up of seven chevrons which is a total of 182 chains + 3. So for the rest of this pattern that is what I will be using.

Ch 185

Row 1:   2 dc in third chain from hook (beginning skipped chains count as first dc), dc in next 9 ch, dc3tog. *dc3tog, dc over next 9 ch, 3 dc in next 2 ch, dc in next 9 ch, dc3tog* repeat until there are 13 ch left. dc3tog, dc in next 9 ch, 3 dc in next ch. Turn work around.

Rows 2-5:   Ch 3, (ch counts as first dc, and throughout) 2 dc in first st, dc in next 9 st, dc3tog, *dc3tog, dc in next 9 st, 3 dc in next 2 st, dc in next 9 st, dc3tog* repeat until there are 13 st left, dc3tog, dc in next 9 st, 3 dc in next st. Turn work around. Fasten off and rejoin with next solid color.

Rows 6-8:   Ch 3, 2 dc in first st, dc in next 9 st, dc3tog, *dc3tog, dc in next 9 st, 3 dc in next 2 st, dc in next 9 st, dc3tog* repeat until there are 13 st left, dc3tog, dc in next 9 st, 3 dc in next st. Turn work around. Fasten off and rejoin with next variegated color.

Rows 9-??:   Repeat with switching colors from 5 variegated rows, and 3 solid rows until blanket is the desired length. Since I have not finished my blanket I can't tell you how many to do. My guess is anywhere between 96-152 rows depending on how long you want you blanket to be, I'm just going to cross that bridge when I come to it.



Alright Dearies I Hope You All Have a Wonderful Day!!

If you have any comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions just let me know in the comments below. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment