Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Orange is the New Black Review

 When Orange is the New Black came out in 2013 there was a lot of hype, it was all over my Trending Now feed and the Recently Added feed on Netflix. I was very interested in this new TV show because it was a Netflix Original. So my younger self decided I would go ahead and check it out, the description said it was about a woman who had done something illegal years before and finally it caught up to her. She was sentenced to fifteen months in a minimum security prison.

http://images.designntrend.com/data/images/full/12888/orange-is-the-new-black.jpg?w=780
The whole show is about the women in the prison including the main character Piper Chapman. Now the first episode of this show is very graphic and completely surprising if you weren't expecting it. There is nudity showing women's breasts and bums, I was only sixteen at the time and was not prepared for what I saw. I held out and kept watching and a little further into the first episode there was a very explicit lesbian scene. When I was watching this I was appalled and I had to quit watching because I was very disturbed.

I had completely forgotten about this show until the beginning of this summer when I was watching YouTube and there was a commercial for the show. It was so funny that it peaked my interest and I started too watch this show again. It has been two years since the first time I watched it and I have grown up a lot. I gave it another try and I am so happy I did.



Even though the show is very graphic and somewhat inappropriate, it has a great story and the characters have so much depth. In every show you get to know the characters more and more. Although there are only 3 seasons you get to know the characters really well because during some episodes you get to see into why they got incarcerated in the first place. You get a look into the character before they were arrested and you establish a relationship with them.You even get a look into the guards and the staff of the jail and you learn why the act the way they do.
https://cmgajcradiotvtalk.files.wordpress.com/
2014/10/lea-delaria-orange.jpg


My absolute favorite character is Big Boo, she kind of freaked me out at first, but after the first season I realized what a great person she is. I realized how much she cares about the other people around her.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/49/a4/
a0/49a4a05ce690457e67a491c2ebc957ce.jpg

My favorite couple in the whole show (even though they aren't really a couple) are Nicky/Lorna AKA Nichols/Morello. I love there relationship and I think they are so adorable together.



In closing this show is the best I have seen in a while and I'm really sad that I have to wait a whole year to see the next season.


No comments:

Post a Comment