Monday, January 11, 2016

Galaxy Nails/Sideways Gradient


The other day while walking through Walmart I saw this awesome nail polish. It looked so interesting I had to pick it up and look at it, it is Pure ICE in shade What's the Splatter. It is a clear top coat with black and white confetti type things. They are in different sizes from so small you can barely see on this picture to the rather large white ones you can definitely see. I was so excited to see what this would look like on but I didn't want to just do a plain one color manicure so I had to come up with a different idea.
What's the Splatter



As I was noodling and trying to figure out what I was gonna do I had the idea of a black and white gradient. From the pinky it would be white and then as I moved over I would do grey until the thumb was black, but when looking at my grey collection I was rather un-astounded finding only one grey color. I figured I could mix the polishes myself but that would be time consuming and really messy. Then I remembered I had a really dark purple and tons of in between shades. So I decided to do a purple ombre sideways gradient.

I began by painting all of my nails white, I used Wet n' Wilds French White Creme, It works really well for a cheaper nail polish (by cheaper I mean literally $.93!!)

To get this look I needed to use a sponge, like people do to get the up and down ombré effect, except I was gonna do it sideways. I knew that this would be rather messy so to keep my skin clean I had a couple options. I could use tape to keep the edges clean or I could use glue. I chose to use Elmer's glue. I just squeezed a small amount around the nail and then spread it out around the cuticle area. This method takes a while to dry but it works well. If I had my druthers I would have used liquid latex, but I just didn't feel like spending the money.

After the glue dried, I began by loading my sponge with French White Creme and Essie's Bikini So Teeny, I loaded my sponge on the horizontal area instead of the wide end of the sponge as shown in the picture. I started with the White and then move to the Bikini So Teeny you need to make sure that the two strips add up to the width of you nail. Since my pinky was first that wasn't very hard.

At this point I move onto the ring finger, I used Bikini So Teeny and then Sinful Colors Verbena, I couldn't find it for sale online anywhere, I think this is a really old polish. The closest color I could find was Sinful Colors Mauve-Alous. I have never used it but it was in the same color family as the one that I used. Every finger you do you will want to reapply the first color and then the new color and make sure there is a little over lap so the colors blend seamlessly. So on this nail I would have to reapply another layer of Bikini So Teeny and then move onto the Verbena.

On my middle finger I used the Verbena and then the Ulta brand's Plum Party, which is also old I bought it in a set with a gold foil a couple Christmas's ago (another alternative is Ulta's Wicked I have not used this either but it looks similar). On my index finger I used Plum Party and Avon's Midnight Plum, I seriously got this in like 6th or 7th grade but it still works great. On my thumb I used Midnight Plum and then Sinful Colors Black on Black.

I got through all five of my fingers, but by the time I was ready to go to the next hand I my white part of the sponge was all dried up. So instead of throwing that out and getting a whole new sponge I just flipped it over and used the other side of the sponge so as to not be wasteful.

After completing my right hand, my left hand was completely dry, I used the wide end of the same sponge and painted What's the Splatter on it to suck up some of the jelly so there was more glitter to jelly ratio. And repeated on all ten of my nails, you may need to get another sponge when you reach you second hand. Or you can just clip the end of the sponge off with scissors, if you want to be really resourceful. The last step you can do but it is optional is add a top coat, I used Pure Ice One Stop Shop. If you want yours to turn out really pretty and professional looking I would suggest cleaning up the edges of your nails with a clean-up brush dipped in 100% acetone especial near your cuticles, because mine were looking a little ratchet. Other than that they turned out exactly how I wanted!


I have actually been working on this blog post for a while I started it before I went to college and then forgot about it, I did this nail look some time in July 2015, so its been a while and I have learned a lot about nail polish in general since then, but this was one of my first ever nail things that worked out really well. I thought it deserved some credit.

Alright Dearies I Hope You All Have a Wonderful Day!!

If you have any comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions just let me know in the comments below. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment