Friday, April 8, 2016

The DIY Bug #3: Be-You-tiful Canvas

For the Bottle and Pot DIY Click Here, to learn how paint the canvas continue reading!!!

Last Weekend my mom came and visited me at college and we went shopping!! As usual, we went thrift shopping (I'm going to do a haul post soon), usually I don't find much but this time my mom and I found a BUNCH of brand new stretched canvases. We bought every one that we saw, there were at least 5, after we checked out I told my mom that I NEEDED to take this cute little one back to my room. I had never seen this shape of canvas before. It is a little rectangle and I didn't have a ruler to tell you the exact "specs" but I took a picture of it blank with nail polish on it to show its size, I know I'm ridiculous, but it was the only thing I could think of that would show it's size.



This was my inspiration
I knew I wanted to do a one-word quote and after doing some extensive googling I decided to do the word beautiful, but instead of being spelled regularly I spelled it Be-You-tiful. I thought this was very inspiring because it doesn't matter what you look like, you are beautiful if you are being yourself and treating others and yourself kindly and with love. Sorry for getting all mushy their, back to the DIY.



The first thing I did was sketch out the words and feel free to use a stencil here, it would be much easier!! Definitely use a ruler or a straight edge to guide you, I don't have a ruler so I just used a piece of Victoria's Secret mail. After I scaled the letters and had them sketched in with pencil (this took me like an hour), I decided I wanted chevron stripes which I originally wanted to do on my aloe plant's pot. Trust me chevron is hard enough on a flat surface and I
I only used the last four colors
didn't want to even attempt it on a round pot! I started off by sketching a straight line at the top of my canvas and then I used washi tape to make my chevrons, as you can see they are not even! This process took me a very long time and I didn't like how it turned out. At the bottom, you can see my pencil lines and this was the chevron that I ended up using. Again I used that Victoria's Secret pamphlet and cut the chevron into it and used that as my stencil. I then sketched lines all the way up my canvas, two thin stripes and one thick stripe.

One coat of all colors except white
My original plan was the word to be all black, grey thick stripes and then purple and aqua thin stripes, I wanted to see if my fine point Sharpie would draw on the canvas so I filled in the two dots around "you" and it did so I filled in the "you" with the Sharpie. As I was looking at it, though, I really like that it stood out from the other letters I was going to fill in the other letters with white, but since I hadn't filled in the aqua stripes yet I really liked how it looked with the white stripes. I decided to paint the letters with the aqua and then fill in the stripes with white paint (only because there were some pencil marks and mess ups on the canvas.

I then went in and did 2nd coats on every color except for white just to solidify the colors and make them less streaky. I thought that the aqua word was being lost in the busyness of the chevron, so I went ahead and outlined the remaining letters. This is the final product:



Alright Dearies I Hope You All Have a Wonderful Day!! You Are All Be-YOU-tiful!!!!!

If you have any comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions just let me know in the comments below. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment