Monday, May 2, 2016

Weekly Nail Obsession #9: OPI's Bubble Bath (and Alpine Snow) + How to Get a Perfect French Manicure

When I first started becoming obsessed with nail polish, I wanted to do a really professional looking French Manicure. I would put the white polish on my nail and it be perfectly shaped , but I couldn't figure out why it wasn't looking perfect like when you get it done at the nail salon. I have had full sets of acrylics on my nails and I would often get a french manicure. I was obsessed with it and I wanted to do it myself. As I was researching I found that people would use a really sheer pink or skin colored polish as a base and then do the white on top.



I tried that and still it was not the look I was going for and I couldn't figure out why! Then I figured out why it was not looking perfect. When you get acrylics and they do a french manicure, you get white tips and then they put a really sheer pink colored acrylic over it and that is the secret to a perfect french manicure! When leaving the white at the end of the nail with just a top coat it looks strange because it is too bright on the end of the nail. If you use a sheer nude or pink polish AFTER the white tips than the manicure looks more professional and better in general.


Now you would think that after I learned this awesome  trick,  I would be able to do great French Manicures. Wrong! I didn't have any pink or nude sheer polishes! I also didn't know which one to get!  I watched a couple YouTube videos (I can't remember which ones or I would link you to them) and found that OPI Bubble Bath was a really great polish for French Mani's. If I wasn't a poor college student I would have gone out and bought this polish right away, but because I have severe anxiety whenever I spend money foolishly, I didn't buy it right then. I waited until Black Friday and bought it with a gift card.

When I got home I was so excited to use it, I took it out of the bag and was looking at it and it was most definitely not Bubble Bath, I accidently bought OPI's Mimosas for Mr. and Mrs.!! I was so upset, at some point during my shopping trip I must have set Bubble Bath down and picked up the other one! They are very similar but definitely not the same! I went back to Ulta to return it, but they didn't have any more Bubble Bath so I just settled with the Mimosas for Mr. and Mrs. and I tried it out on my nail. Definitely not the same, but it was okay.

After that experience, I didn't want to spend another $10 on a full-size OPI nail polish and I set out on a mission to find OPI's Bubble Bath at TJ Maxx for cheaper. It had been a month and I pretty much gave up on that dream, it was the day after Christmas and my cousin and I were shopping and I saw this 10 pack of mini OPI polishes and the first polish my eye gravited to was OPI's Bubble Bath! I finally found it, but it was $15 and I knew I did not have that much in my account. I had to wait for my pay check that Friday and I went back to TJ Maxx and did not have my hopes up for finding it again. Sure enough, it was still where I had hidden it! I bought it and as soon as I got home I tried it out and it worked great!

Sorry for that ridiculously long story! To get this look I first started with OPI's Chip Skip and then OPIs Nail Envy. I wanted to make sure all the white tips were similar in length so I started with my ring finger since it's the longest and has the longest free end. I did a thin layer of OPI's Alpine Snow, to get a nice smile line I drag the brush from the edge of my natural smile line and drag it to the center of my nail and then repeat it for the other side. I repeated that for all of my nails and tried to make all of the white tips similar sizes and did a second coat on all of my nails. I never get perfect smile lines so I have to go back with acetone and a clean up brush and perfect the lines. I then applied OPI's Rapid Dry Top Coat, because mini nail polishes tend to be a bit streaky if applied on tacky nail polish. After allowing the top coat to dry I applied one layer of OPI's Bubble Bath. I finished off this look with one coat of OPI's Rapid Dry Top Coat. I know that was a lot of OPI and usually I would use Seche Vite top coat, but I wanted to keep up the OPI trend.


Alright Dearies I Hope You All Have a Wonderful Day!!

If you have any comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions just let me know in the comments below. :)









No comments:

Post a Comment